I want to write Katelynn's birth story so I wont forget.
Back story is I have a really bad back from gymnastics. So when I got to 38 weeks the extra weight and the position of my growing baby began to put pressure on my low back and the nerve that was affected when I got injured originally. The result is a lot of back pain but more importantly the squished nerve made it some my right foot was completely numb. Like walking around with the feeling that my foot was constantly asleep. Then at 39 weeks it became so bad that I started to not be able to move my toes up and down well. Scary.
So my doctor was set to induce me at 39 weeks 1 day. I went in on Saturday night after I drove up to Spokane to pick up my best friend Amanda. Its hard to explain but I had a feeling my body wasnt quite ready to give birth or like the baby wasnt quite ready to come out. But I still went because my back had gotten really bad. Well turns out I was right because after being in labor because of pitocin for 12 hours I was sent home since I was still only 2cm and making no progress.
I was told to come back Tuesday Oct 25th (39 weeks, 4 days) to start the process again. In the few days in between I did everything I could think of. Amanda and I went on a long walk to the park, we went to the mall to walk (and shop) and we saw footloose at the movie theatre. :)
I went back Tuesday and knew it was the right time. I had cervadil on Tuesday night and started pitocin at 6am Wednesday morning. At 5pm after being in painful labor for 11 hours, the nurse checked me and I was STILL AT 2CM!!! Ahhh, the nurse said I had 3 options. 1) I could have two more hours to see if I made progress. 2) I could stop -sleep for the night and then start all over in the morning. 3) Have a c section. I was soooo depressed. I was exhausted and sad I had not progressed. They couldnt even break my water for me because my cervix was still too far up. I just felt like I couldnt start all over again I was sooo tired. So I got really determined and told Aaron that I was going to find a way to progress in my two hours.
So Aaron helped me get in the hot tub in my room to try and relax with the jets on. I sat in there for 30 minutes then got out. I then decided to try every random position to try to inspire change. I just KNEW I was meant to have the baby that night. While I was on my hands and knees doing yoga positions I felt a painful pop. I was freaked out and told Aaron something hurt and he needed to help me stand up. As soon as I stood up I felt a huge gush and knew my water broke. I was pretty proud of myself. :) I felt like my nurse had given up and decided that it wasnt going to happen for me that night. So when my water broke I was so proud and Amanda really put it best. When I texted her to tell her she wrote back "YES, in that nurse's face!"
My water broke at 7:15pm. I got a new nurse at 7:30 when it was shift change! I was really happy because my favorite nurse came back on. Her name is Nicole and she was awesome! In the next two hours I was in the most pain I have ever felt. M contractions got sooooo painful. I literally felt like I was going to die with every contraction. I was crying and saying how much it hurt. My doctor checked me at 8:00 and said I was at 3cm and I could have an epideral. The anesthesiologist took about 20 minutes to come and get ready. I really thought I would DIE. I got a partial epideral and felt so much better! After being in intense labor for awhile and then pretty easy labor for awhile my nurse checked me again at 10pm and said I was at 10cm! I never heard the numbers 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9cm. From a 3 to a 10 in 2 hours! The nurse called the doctor to come and said she thought it would be a short time. I laughed because with Cassidy when they told me that I then pushed for 3 HOURS. But when the doctor came I only did three pushes and out she came! She came out at 10:24pm!!
We werent sure what to name her when she came and we were debating between Carly and Katelynn. I let Aaron pick and he decided on Katelynn. I choose Josephine which I love. I think her name Katelynn Josephine fits her perfectly. We call her Katelynn or Kate --no Katie (I dont like Katie).
Labor is quite the process but honestly after we got home I just felt so thankful that it all worked out perfectly in the end. We are so lucky to have two healthy and happy girls.
1 comment:
Great story Jo. There is something to having a wonderful nurse.
Post a Comment